Time to rethink the KIT LENS idea?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom__Brown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,329Gear list
Like?
Re: 16-45 and 17-70 are goners
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 4 months ago

I love my 16-45 and have no intention of ever selling it, however, I haven't used it in 5 years.

In fact, I have two bodies: One with a DA21L, the other with a Samyang 14mm for panoramas. I might never change another lens. lol!

The idea of a fixed focal length lens makes a lot of sense to me. How about the plastic DA35? I would have been delighted with that.

When I bought my K100D back in the day, it came in an 18-55/500-200 kit. That lens is poor. Everyone bragged about it with the odd post something like, "Look at this!  I took an image with the kit lens and it doesn't suck, proving the kit lens is great!"

The larger issue was the K100D front focusing, as they all did. Once ricehigh shared the maintenance menu, I fixed the front focus and it worked OK but I was not happy until picked up the DA 16-45/4. With the 16-45, I was getting great shot after great shot.

I agree with the OP that poor quality kit lens suck the fun out of photography. It would seem the 18-55 has evolved to a noticeably superior product than my copy so maybe it's good enough. I'd still rather have the plastic DA35, though.

-- hide signature --

-- Tom

Tom__Brown's gear list:Tom__Brown's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow