Should I sell my sigma 180mm 3.5 HSM and get a Tamron 90mm VC USD 2.8 ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lassoni
Junior MemberPosts: 49Gear list
Like?
Should I sell my sigma 180mm 3.5 HSM and get a Tamron 90mm VC USD 2.8 ?
1 month ago

I bought a year ago an used sigma 180 3.5 HSM , which also came with a 2x TC. I haven't been using it very much since it's a bit heavier than I would like (and large). The TC might give the images even more reach (and 2:1 on 180mm), but I guess the images look a bit hazy or something. Also the sigma doesn't have OS, so that could be a problem too. Means the shutter speed would be higher than one with OS. Wouldn't Tamron be better since it does offer VC, even if the length is shorter? Recently I've been wondering whether a shorter macro would give better perspective than this sigma tele macro, also the weight.

Tamron would be easier to carry around in some bag with my camera, whilst I've had to carry sigma with its own bag (which is rarely because I've rarely used it). I was looking at the info on minimum focus distance, tamron has 30cm and sigma is 46cm. Is it much difference, considering the fact it's twice the focal length? Would it make difference if trying to photo bees or other stingy insects on a flower?

There's one other dilemma. I have some filter ring for filter size of my sigma, which allows me to reverse attach a 50mm minolta, for very very very rare occasions I get the idea of shooting 6:1 ratio or something. Though it shouldn't be hard to get another rings for tamron filter size.

Lassoni's gear list:Lassoni's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow