Nikon D4s: Bayer processing breakthru?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,376Gear list
Like?
Thanks to all: Nikon D4s: Bayer processing breakthru?
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Many thanks to all for your input and opinions.

It seems to me that we all know how bayer has been continually optimized over the years and we are left with only about 70% of the pixel count in terms of resolution.  A breakthrough would go beyond this, and nothing was said about a breakthrough in the Shutterbug review.

So for now I might call it a subjective reading of D4s resolution byt the Shutterbug staff, as suggested.

DPR lab tests carry a lot of weight, at least for me, so I'll be waiting for them.

Here are a few opinions of my own.  I use a CFA camera (Fuji X-E1) as well as my Sigma DP3M.  There is a different look to the images from each, and it might only be the style these days but CFA is a little more gentle in the images.  Foveon will definitely wow you but the comfort level with CFA seems to be a little bit higher for me because it is not reaching out to grab your attention so much.  There is a place for both in the photographic art.

I've seen posts about trying to make Bayer look like Foveon, but nary a one about making Foveon look like Bayer.  The crisp softness of Bayer and other CFA images is not easily produced from Foveon images I think, because in post processing one might need the complementary function to sharpness enhancement.  I don't know if such a function is available.

It seems to me that the Foveon mantra of "as good as a bayer with twice as many pixels" has not been quite on the mark lately.  It was true several years ago, but we have seen some advancements in Bayer/CFA processing that seem to erode the clear advantages of Foveon.  Now, with the D4s, we might see parity between the images from the Nikon full-frame sensor at low ISO and the Merrill at low ISO.  One reason we might not have seen such comparison images in the recent past is that no D4s owner or reviewer is particularly interested in exploring it.  DPR's method of doing test images seems to involve careful sharpening until the limit, for any given sensor, and this might show us something interesting when compared to Merrill.  Or, maybe not.  I'm guessing in a couple months we will have some DPR test shots from the D4s, and then this will all blow over (if it is any kind of storm at all).

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow