Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
Waterfall Fun w/Filters: IR and Big Stopper
3 months ago

Below are a few waterfall shots using both IR filter (Hoya R72) and my new Lee Seven5 Big Stopper (10 stop ND filter). These shots were tripod mounted using the Fuji 14 and 55-200 lenses.

I am including some Before pictures, as well as various stages of the post processing of the IR, to show differences and variations. Generally, very little post work was done.

Note 1: since I used Auto WB when using my 10 stop ND filter (Lee Big Stopper), there is no blue cast. No WB correction or tweaking was done in post. I mention this for those that fear blue color cast - essentially Fuji Auto WB worked perfectly.

Note 2: very long exposures can be tricky with leaves and such since wind and breeze over several seconds lends itself to blur. The trick is to try and be patient and wait for a lull in the wind when shoot foliage with very long exposures

1/20 sec exposure. No filter (or just a 3-stop?). Water texture is on the falls is fine but at the bottom, in the stream, it is not pretty

27 second exposure with Lee Seven5 Big Stopper filter

25 seconds with IR filter. Out of Camera shot with Custom WB

Same as above but WB corrected in Photo Ninja

WB corrected version with Channel Swap to bring out faux colors, plus a little post work. (25 second exposure)

5 second exposure with Big Stopper (10 stop ND)

15 seconds with IR filter. WB corrected

Same as above but channel swapped to bring out faux colors (15 seconds)

1/6 second with CPL filter. Waterfall water texture is good (could use 1/10 or 1/5) but not long enough to smooth out the water texture in the stream

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow