Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,529Gear list
Like?
Panasonic: DFD will not be shared with Olympus
Jun 5, 2014

I know some were hoping that Olympus lenses could eventually be supported but Panasonic is very clear that this won't happen. This could drive a further wedge between this shared mount.

Here are some interesting comments on DFD from this article.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/06/05/panasonic-executive-interview-part-i-why-no-long-teles-and-depth-from-defoc

DE: Ah, that's interesting - because the bokeh is different on both sides of best focus.

Inoue: Yes - it's very, very easy, if the subject moves, it's very easy to understand which direction the subject has moved.

DE: I was wondering whether you would ever tell them what that data structure is. It sounds like not, though -- that's something you'll keep as a unique Panasonic advantage.

Both: Yes.

DE: Because it requires more processing, will we see the DFD technology that was developed for the GH4 brought to lower-end models as well, going forward? Will the GF-series or the G-series have that capability, or does it just require too much processing power?

Inoue: This one I think is maybe adopted for the future product. Because it depends on the power of the LSI. If they adopt the LSI from the GH4, it will be...

DE: Ah, so this technology and focus speed and smoothness could very easily come to compact cameras as well. You said it's a matter of adopting the same LSI. From what you just said about processor load, though, it sounds like it's not so much a matter of having a much more powerful processor, as it is just having a different architecture, that would support DFD, how the internal components are arranged.

Inoue: Yes.

Uematsu: Yes, four cores in the [current-generation] Venus Engine.

DE: So even when you're running video, you're not using all the cores?

Inoue: Yes, when just processing still pictures, some of the cores don't work [aren't used], it's not so heavy a load.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow