Did you upgrade from the K-5 to the K-3?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
afterswish1
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?
Re: Did you upgrade from the K-5 to the K-3?
In reply to sgtsween, 3 months ago

sgtsween wrote:

davids8560 wrote:

Now that the K-3 reviews are in and the K-3 has gotten a Gold Award like the K-5 before it, are you one of the people who has upgraded? Is the K-3 really superior by leaps and bounds?

After trying one Nikon and two Rebel DSLR's, I gotta say I really like my K-5 by far. I dunno. I just like it more.

The only real difficulty it has for me is using it to shoot fast subjects. But I am sure it is due to my configurations and lack of experience. The K-5 is the first DSLR I've really dug into, after years of compacts and super zooms. And even though I have a hankering to try the latest greatest stuff, for once I feel like sticking with what I've got, and attempting to learn it inside out and master it (if possible) before moving on.

Unless you've got lots of experience with both cameras, and really think I should upgrade now.

Thanks.

I held out as I was dead set on full frame next. That said, I couldn't hold out any longer and picked up a K-3 last month. I will say that, yes, it is a huge upgrade from the K-5 in my opinion. I LOVED my K-5, and not even talking about IQ the K-3 is better. Better LCD, better control layout (not a whole lot different, but improved in my opinion.) Better UI even. It always bugged me that you could not quickly delete multiple photos on the K-5, and that is fixed with the K-3. Even the shutter seems quieter if that makes any sense.

You can delete folders and also select multiple files for simultaneous deletion on the K5. It seems pretty quick to me! How does it work on the K3?

Regarding the question in hand, personally I'd say stick with what you have, unless shooting fast moving subjects or AF in low light is really important to you (if you're a birder for example it seems a no-brainer upgrade). From what I've seen and read the K3 is an incremental improvement in almost every department except auto-focus which is significantly better. Image quality is generally improved for sure, but it's not exactly night and day from the K5. At this point it seems to me that unless you really crop quite hard or like peeping pixels you won't notice that much difference.

The next generation of APS-C sensors, one or two years away I presume, will likely have 32 megapixels. That will be more noticeable but still 'only' about a 50% increase in resolution from the K5 era cameras. I say only, of course that is pretty huge if you happen to crop a lot. If on the other hand you are able to get close to your subjects, you fill the frame and don't print very large you're often discarding a bunch of pixels even now with the K5 (downsizing for screen etc.) When 4k screens become popular you'll still have to downsize the images to get them to fit.

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow