Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,156Gear list
Like?
Re: Viewing 4k files on 4k displays
In reply to Markr041, 3 months ago

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

I can attach a Dell 4K monitor by HDMI cable to my laptop with a Nvidia graphics card and view in full screen the 4K videos in full 4K using VLC.

How did you do this VLC player keeps crashing on my PC. So does Quicktime.

Only Widows Media Player will work for my 4k files.

What about outputing the Camera Playback thru the HDMI cable?

-- hide signature --

RRRoger

I seriously doubt the laptop has a video chipset capsble of putting out actual 4K video. The video cards for desktop PCs offer this resolution via HDMI but cost over $500 and they generate a lot of heat and consume a lot of power.

Does your laptop perhaps downsample to put out 1920 x 1080 video?

I'm sorry, but your info is really ("seriously") out of date. The built-in Intel graphics chipsets in current iX PC's put out 4K through HDMI without overheating or downsampling. And the Nvidia graphics card (770M) in my Asus gaming laptop does this too, easily. Even has a thunderbolt port. It's easy to tell the actual resolution on a 4K monitor, anyway, by just looking at the (tiny) size of the icons!

You are indeed correct. I have not kept up with gaming laptops and these have achieved 4K resolutions with (somewhat) reasonable ~35 watt power consumption / heat dissipation with moderate cost for the video graphics.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow