Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ClemTig
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Re: Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S or Nikon 35-70 f/2.8
In reply to Silverstreaks, 6 months ago

Silverstreaks wrote:

SenicPhoto wrote:

I just bought D610 and looking for a medium range zoom. Basically I narrowed down to Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S and Nikon 35-70 f/2.8. Beside the price difference, how much better Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S really is? Any input will be highly appreciated ...

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Back when I had my first Nikon camera a D2x I purchased a 28-70mm f/2.8 lens but after a couple of months use I became more and more unhappy with its performance and having read very positive write ups of the 35-70 F2.8 I got hold of one on Ebay. Within days the 28-70 had gone as I personally found the 35-70mm F/2.8 a joy to use and very sharp right across the frame, the opposite to the 28-70mm.

That same lens was then used on a D700 and for the last two years with a D800 and it remains a joy. It went back to Fixation in London a couple of years back to have the front lens glass replaced and serviced, came back and carried on as before. A couple of my fellow compatriots that have the same interests as me have also purchased their own with the same results first with DX bodies but now D600's

I have to stress that perhaps my 28-70mm copy might have performed better on full-frame camera than it did on my DX D2x or perhaps was just a poor example.

Yes the 35-70mm F/2.8 has been out of production for a while now and it is of the push pull zoom type. As they are only available secondhand its best to ensure you ask the right questions when enquiring about one. Scratches to lens faces, dust or mold inside, motor and AF works as it should.

I should add that the 35-70 will also be a cheaper option and not so weighty as the 28-70 version

I'm sure there will be more feedback from others on the forum to help you decide.

Regards

Bob

Amen to that.  I have the 35-70mm f/2.8 along with many more expensive lens and it is a personal favorite.  I feel like if there is a situation that it can be used it will be used over all my other lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow