Did you upgrade from the K-5 to the K-3?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,062Gear list
Like?
Re: Did you upgrade from the K-5 to the K-3?
In reply to sgtsween, 6 months ago

sgtsween wrote:

Ishpuini wrote:

I did. The K-5 remained with me longer than any DSLR before it, and I never felt the K-5II(S) offered enough useable new features for me. The K-3 is another beast however, with an impressive list of improvements, although the need to replace the K-5 by a K-3 depends on your requirements of course.

For me, there were at least three requirements that were met by the K-3 that improved it over the K-5:

• Frame rate for HDR: I often use exposure bracketing for increased dynamic range. However, the slower the burst rate of a camera, the more likely movements between subsequent frames are possible. With the K-3's higher frame rate, even compared to the already pretty fast K-5, the various shots in a bracketed series match up noticeably better when combining them in a HDR/Enfused image.

Do you use in camera HDR mostly, or do you bracket and use something in PP? I like HDR from time to time, but I've never been impressed with what the K-5 or K-3 gives me.

If PP, what software do you use?

I never use in-camera features that deliver a fully cooked image. So I just bracket (5 exposures at two stop intervals) and decide afterwards in PP which images from a bracketed series to include in creating the extended dynamic range image. Since I do all work from Lightroom, I use the LR/Enfuse plug-in to merge the files (unadjusted except lens corrections and WB synchronization). Technically the process doesn't create a real HDR file, but the enfused file is a TIFF with dramatically pushed shadows and recovered highlights. That TIFF file is then subject to processing in Lightroom to give it a similar look as the non-enfused images in a series, so as to have consistency throughout all images I shoot at a same location or of a same subject. For me it's not about the HDR look, it's about having detail everywhere I want detail in an image that looks as natural as possible, and that's what bracketing and the LR/Enfuse plug-in allow me to achieve.

hth, Wim

-- hide signature --

Antwerp, Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow