M43 vs dSLR for birds, focusing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,459Gear list
Like?
Re: GH4 is close, but you should not disregard one other mirrorless system...
In reply to Bhima78, 3 months ago

Bhima78 wrote:

Honestly, m43's just isn't a great system YET for BIF. That isn't to say there aren't great photographers getting good BIF photos with the system, its just that the m43's system takes alot more patience and practice to be able to get more keeper shots. Honestly, I think the best mirrorless cam for BIF is likely the Nikon 1. Yeah, the IQ isn't as great as m43, but at the low ISO range, it isn't prohibitively different. And the focusing/continuous shooting of the Nikon 1 series is nothing short of amazing.

"its just that the m43's system takes alot more patience and practice to be able to get more keeper shots" - that's what I keep trying to explain to people, you have to work with the camera and not rely on it doing all the work for you

"I think the best mirrorless cam for BIF is likely the Nikon 1. Yeah, the IQ isn't as great as m43, but at the low ISO range, it isn't prohibitively different. And the focusing/continuous shooting of the Nikon 1 series is nothing short of amazing."

I must admit I keep looking at the Nikon 1 mk2 now that they have the new 100-300 lens out for it, I liked the way it handled when I tried it at its launch and nearly went that way instead of staying with Olympus but I just prefer the way that the EM's handle and now I have the knack don't honestly find it that difficult to get good BIF shots (big and mini ) on a regular basis

(and, to be honest, as a pensioner, I don't think I would get yet another camera system past my wife! )

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow