Another crack at Studio Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
baratta930
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: Another crack at Studio Photography
In reply to Sailor Blue, 2 months ago

Sailor Blue wrote:

As DecibelPhoto said, if you show the face then light for the face. One partial exception is fashion photography were the main subject is the clothing. For fashion a general rule is to use a bit harder main light and position it a bit further to the side than you would for a portrait, but it is still above the subject at about the 10 to 11 or 1 to 2 clock positions. I would use a brollybox at 3 or more diameters from the subject to make the lighting fairly hard.

This type of lighting increases the ratio of highlights to shadows on the fabric, emphasizing the weave and drape of the clothing. You then add a fill light close to the camera at the subject's eye level (camera just above subject's eye level) to fill in the shadows so that you can see the fabric in the folds, not just black shadow areas.

Following this technique will get rid of your background light blowback onto the subject problem.

Set your camera to the subject exposure and turn on the camera's Highlight Alert. Start with the background lighting too dim then slowly increase it until you get a blinking area that will completely surround the subject when they are present. It is a quick and easy job to increase the exposure of the edges and corners of the image to pure white in post processing as long as the area surrounding the subject is pure white out of the camera.

You don't need to increase the background lighting beyond this point and by setting it this way you will minimize the blowback of background light onto the subject.

If you don't flag the background lights they can also light the edges of the model, making it look like it is blowback from the background that is causing the edges of the model to be overexposed and bleed into the background. Carefully flag the background lights so that no light can go directly from them to the subject or the camera lens.

Keep the subject at least 5', and 6' or more is better, from the background. If you don't do this then you are guaranteed to get blowback overexposing the edges of the subject.

Add just enough lighting to the subject to get the proper exposure. Now double check how much of the background is blinking with the combined background and subject lights. You may want to reduce brightness of the background lights slightly.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Thanks Sailor Blue,

You gave me some great hints after my first post that I tried to incorporate into this shoot.  Now here's some more for me to incorporate into my next shoot

I'm limited on space but I'm finding the room is even smaller because of the furniture in there (couch and buffet on the long ends, with a large armoire on the side).  I may have access to a large space (16'x24' with high ceilings) for the next shoot  That will make things easier to get separation from the background.

I'll share some photos from the next shoot and hopefully can incorporate all the feedback from this thread.

Thanks again,

Berardino

baratta930's gear list:baratta930's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow