Cautiously looking into m4/3 system

Started Jun 5, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Antony John Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Cautiously looking into m4/3 system

I have a Nikon D600 which I'm very happy with but would like a smaller, lighter camera to just grab when the need arises (e.g. when on outings not specifically for photographic purposes or business trips etc).

Not having had the opportunity to use m4/3 cameras and lenses I'm not entirely sure if the IQ will meet my expectations (which may be more than actual needs).

Having a lot of Nikon glass I'd like a camera that I can use for more reach (i.e. the '2X crop factor' of m4/3) with an adapter. Using moderately long Nikon glass (e.g. 300 F4) in camera stabilization is high on the agenda.

So I am considering the EM1, EM5 or EM10 because of IBIS to which I need to add a lens - prime or zoom.

The kit zooms don't appear to be (that) highly rated so I guess that the kits are out and I'd have to get a separate body and lens.

To get a reasonable feel for what Olympus m4/3 has to offer IRO image quality, stabilization and AF accuracy what combination of body and lens would be recommended whilst attempting to limit the initial outlay?

Try/return or rental is not an option in my location - neither is reselling really.

Of course I might just be making a mountain out of a molehill, be perfectly happy with the m4/3 system and just wade right in and get the EM1 and 12-40 F2.8 (or a couple of primes)

BTW, I understand that I cannot expect FF performance such as DOF, high ISO noise, DR etc. from m4/3

TIA

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem - or not ...

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D810 +22 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow