Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Antony John
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098Gear list
Like?
Cautiously looking into m4/3 system
6 months ago

I have a Nikon D600 which I'm very happy with but would like a smaller, lighter camera to just grab when the need arises (e.g. when on outings not specifically for photographic purposes or business trips etc).

Not having had the opportunity to use m4/3 cameras and lenses I'm not entirely sure if the IQ will meet my expectations (which may be more than actual needs).

Having a lot of Nikon glass I'd like a camera that I can use for more reach (i.e. the '2X crop factor' of m4/3) with an adapter. Using moderately long Nikon glass (e.g. 300 F4) in camera stabilization is high on the agenda.

So I am considering the EM1, EM5 or EM10 because of IBIS to which I need to add a lens - prime or zoom.

The kit zooms don't appear to be (that) highly rated so I guess that the kits are out and I'd have to get a separate body and lens.

To get a reasonable feel for what Olympus m4/3 has to offer IRO image quality, stabilization and AF accuracy what combination of body and lens would be recommended whilst attempting to limit the initial outlay?

Try/return or rental is not an option in my location - neither is reselling really.

Of course I might just be making a mountain out of a molehill, be perfectly happy with the m4/3 system and just wade right in and get the EM1 and 12-40 F2.8 (or a couple of primes)

BTW, I understand that I cannot expect FF performance such as DOF, high ISO noise, DR etc. from m4/3

TIA

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem - or not ...

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D810 +18 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow