Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
fPrime
Contributing MemberPosts: 542Gear list
Like?
Re: You need to ask an asian, or someone who has used Canon. color profiles...
In reply to fPrime, 4 months ago

fPrime wrote:

surrephoto wrote:

ImageAmateur wrote:

surrephoto wrote:

To live with this, I developed my own DNG profiles based on PSKiss cross camera profiles over the last few years.

Surely you just supported what the others are saying??? Not being a smartxx but...

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

The PSKiss cross camera profiles are far from perfect. I had to work on them to get them to work to my taste. These profiles do not aim to provide accurate color, but rather, colors which emulate other brands. What the others are suggesting is to use a color chart. That does not solve the problem, it just makes everything more clinical.

I've also started working with PSKiss cross camera profiles for ACR recently and am gravitating towards the D3 Mode I as my baseline favorite for skin tones. I think the Leica M8 profile seems to have the best tone curve for facial detail but turns everything too greenish. If I could merge the color from the D3 Mode I with the tone curve of the Leica I'd do so.

Just an update on the topic of modifying camera color profiles... after a bit of research I discovered that it is indeed possible to merge a default tone curve from one camera profile into the color transformation profile of another. It requires a barebones utility called dcpTool and some simple cutting & pasting in Notepad but the process itself is relatively straightforward.

I've already substituted my favorite PSKiss Leica M8 tone curve into the PSKiss Canon 1Ds Mk 3 Standard color profile that PSKiss built for the Panasonic LX3 and am now getting beautiful skin tones and color accuracy with that camera out of Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom. My previous RAW conversions for the LX3 weren't nearly as good. I've also successfully bolted the same PSKiss tone curve onto an Adobe profile for an older Canon G3 to extract an extra degree of tonality and depth from my G3 RAW files.  Next up will be the D200 and D700.

fPrime

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow