I find it really depressing looking at smartphone camera photos

Started Jun 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 43,432
Here's some context for "lazy composition":

Ontario Gone wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

After seeing real photos coming from a DSLR, when you go back and look at cell phone pics, it just feels like such a downgrade. Plus just about all suck for composition and depth of field. Theres just no feeling or emotion in them. Theyre so lifeless.

Will never understand how so many people think theyre the greatest thing ever.

When did we get the idea that a photo is "better" because some of the photo is out of focus. In old photos, there was shallow DOF not because the photographer WANTED that, but because he needed a higher shutter speed than he could get with the lens stopped all the way down.

If you look at photos in museums, you will see that none of the best fine art photos rely on shallow DOF in order to make their point.

On the other hand, I agree that there are a lot of crappy smartphone photos on Instagram.

I agree sigala. One might actually suggest that using extreme bokeh is just a way to cover up lazy composition, that it actually allows a photographer to be less skilled and get away with it, liken to using PS to smudge out whatever is in the background that looks bad, rather than actually planning a shot or using better judgement before the fact. One might, that is...

Here are some examples, all on FF, to give a visual context to your suggestion that:

...using extreme bokeh is just a way to cover up lazy composition, that it actually allows a photographer to be less skilled and get away with it, liken to using PS to smudge out whatever is in the background that looks bad, rather than actually planning a shot or using better judgement before the fact.

In my experience, opinions on photography are made more clear when there are photos that support them.  Clearly, the wide apertures in the photos below demonstrate lazy composition to cover a lack of skill that better judgment and planning would have fixed.

50mm f/1.2:

200mm f/2.8:

50mm f/1.4:

150mm f/2.8:

100mm f/2:

24mm f/1.4:

50mm f/1.2:

50mm f/1.2:

70mm f/2.8:

50mm f/1.2:

24mm f/1.4:

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hha
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow