Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chicoes
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
Would the G1x MKII be good for me?
5 months ago

On the end of July I will be going to Thailand for 3 weeks for my honeymoon.

My current camera is the SX160 IS and since this trip is going to be a once or twice in a lifetime trip, I want to buy a better camera to take better pics than my SX160 takes and also be able to take good pictures on low light hand held without blurriness and be able to get good results with above 800 ISO and give me better photos than my cell phone.

Up until about a month ago I was seriously considering the S120 but since the G1X MKII was out I was seriously thinking about it and reading all sorts of opinions and reviews, but I still dont know for 100% if its the best choice for me. I do know I want a camera with a sensor that is atleast 1" and I do want a flip LCD screen and a wide angle.

First, I will not buy the camera in my country. I have a family relative that comes from the USA and I am going to ask him to bring it with him since its cheaper in the USA.

I know I love canon cameras for the colors and mostly for the intuitive and easiness of going through the different settings. I only had canon cameras so far and got used to them. I was considering also the rx100 MKIII, but the schedule is tight so I am not sure I'll be able to get it on time.

The camera will be used mainly as a travel camera, vacations, friends meeting and family. Im not a professional and probably not going to use it for artistic photos.

Also, since I have no knowledge in LR or Photoshop nor do I have the time to learn how to edit photos, I probably wont be using RAW, but rather OOC JPG.

So What I want to know is, considering all of the above, and the fact that I mostly take pictures on P mode and occasionally on Av mode, would I still get good results with the camera? or do I need to be more like a starter pro to be able to get good results?

how easy is the learning curve of the camera? I will have only about 20 days to learn how to use it before I leave for my vacation.

Bottom line, is it the right camera for me?

Thanks in advance

Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot SX170 IS Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow