Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Tubbycub
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Re: A7 lens Redemption.
In reply to ProfHankD, 4 months ago

ProfHankD wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

Hi all,l Im unsure as to which Lens adaptor I should get via the sony lens redemption.

I have a choice between a Sony A mount , Cannon EF mount, Leica M mount and a Nikon G mount.

People have said much, but which adapters are you talking about?

Decent adapters for Sony A, Leica M, and Nikon G can be had for under $20, but the aperture control on Sony A and Nikon G is crude, using an uncalibrated ring. Cheap Canon EF adapters have no way to control the aperture at all (and the ones with an iris in them mostly vignette) -- and are thus unusable with actual Canon EF lenses.

If the offer allows you to pick an LA-EA4, that will give you electronic aperture control and the fastest AF with the most lenses: see Dyxum for a list of lenses with reviews. The electronic EF adapters (e.g., metabones) give electronic aperture control and very slow AF of Canon EF/EF-S lenses... which is not compelling unless you have really great FF-capable Canon glass (and I don't). The Sony LA-EA3 is more like the electronic Canon adapter, and will slowly AF only with A-mount lenses that aren't screw-drive (the vast majority are screw drive).

Summary: if it's an option, get a Sony LA-EA4. It's the most useful and most expensive adapter overall (hence, with the highest resale value if you decide you don't like it). Get some cheap old Minolta Maxxum AF glass to try with it via eBay, checking the Dyxum reviews before you buy.

Thank you!

BTW like the profile pic

Tubbycub's gear list:Tubbycub's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow