M43 vs dSLR for birds, focusing

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Solomente
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
Re: M43 vs dSLR for birds, focusing
In reply to richard stern, 6 months ago

I have an E-M1 and a 100-300 and do birding shots all the time. My experience matches what you're already seeing with M43... basically a complete inability to focus on any BIF. This is with C-AF or S-AF, single point or 9-point focus, face detection off, and all the other tricks people have suggested. The lens hunts from one end to the other, despite clearly having a large flying animal taking up a major portion of the focus area, with a bright contrasting background. Focus never locks.

Based on the feedback people have posted, and the fantastic pictures like Brian Wadle has shown, it's clearly possible to do BIF. I'm beginning to suspect, however, that the Oly camera and Panny lens combination is not the way to do it. It seems to me that the people having success have two factors going for them: A) They know what they're doing, and B) They are using the same brand camera and lens.

Solomente's gear list:Solomente's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow