Pentax DA 55-300mm HD + teleconverter. (3 imgs)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,608
Like?
Pentax DA 55-300mm HD + teleconverter. (3 imgs)
1 month ago

Hi folks,

The Pentax DA 55-300mm HD came in today so I tested it with some teleconverters on the Pentax K-5 IIs. Note: please understand that what you read from me is just my own opinion. There are other folks in this forum that would not be caught dead using a teleconverter on any lens, let alone a consumer zoom. That's fine with me.

With the Pentax 1.4X HD AW

With the Vivitar 1.4X Series 1

With the Promaster 1.7X Spectrum 7

Concerning the Promaster 1.7X Spectrum 7: Needs a lot of light and contrasty subjects to lock focus. You can sometimes pre-focus manually then the autofocus will lock. I do not recommend the Promaster 1.7X Spectrum 7 for use with this lens. However, if you already own the teleconverter then give it a try yourself.

I also shot with the Tamron-F 1.4X Pz_AF and the Kenko 1.5X Pz_AF and both of them did as well or better than the Vivitar 1.4X Series 1 teleconverter.

In a nutshell: I would not hesitate using any of these 1.4X (1.5X) teleconverters with this Pentax DA 55-300mm HD lens. The low price is the Vivitar at US $99 and the high price is the Pentax 1.4X HD AW at US $600. Note: The Vivitar 1.4X Series 1 will not autofocus with SDM or HSM lenses.

Before I go I want to say that, IMO the Pentax DA55-300mm HD, by itself or with a 1.4X teleconverter, is one of the best consumer zooms that there is.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow