ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kellydunwoody
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Please help me choose between Sony A6000 and Olympus e-m10
4 months ago

Hi all,

I am upgrading from my Oly e-pl1.  I decided I needed to upgrade because of its poor focusing in low light.  I have 3 cameras in hand and will return the 2 I don't choose.  I've already disqualified a sony nex-5t from the running.

I apologize in advance to the real photographers in this forum, but I am a person who mostly takes pictures of people, especially kids.  I like to be able to just point and shoot, because I usually don't have much time to choose settings as my subjects are moving or lacking the patience to wait while I fiddle with the camera.  I moved into 4/3 cameras because I hated carrying my bulky canon dslr, lenses, and flash around, I felt conspicuous shooting it, and so usually just left it at home and brought my compact camera.  No camera is right for me if I don't have it with me!

I need a camera that:

* focuses fast, including in low light (indoors w/ambient lighting at night)

* focuses on subjects moving SOME, but I don't need to do sports photography or anything

* produces accurate skin tones, especially caucasian

I have taken probably close to 1000 pictures using the a6000 and the e-m10 in the week I've had them.  My husband says quit obsessing and pick one by TOMORROW.

What I like about the e-m10: touch screen focusing, controls/menus, seems to focus a little better in low light.  What I don't like:  not-so-great focusing on moving subjects, strong yellow/orange cast w/indoor lighting.  Maybe? more noise in low-light photos?

I've set noise reduction to none and used custom white balance settings (but it's so hard to get this correct, especially as the light changes throughout the day indoors).  I can use shutter priority to reduce blur in moving subjects.

What I like about the a6000: better focus on moving subjects, better color accuracy, ?less noise in high iso image?.  What I don't like:  hunts for focus in low light, doesn't always pick the focus point I want and it's hard to change manually, although choosing flexible spot focus mode helps.  I've also set noise reduction to none on the sony so I can compare high iso images fairly between cameras.

Sorry for such a long post.  I'm desperate for opinions!  I really want to like the e-m10 the best because I already own an oly 17mm/2.8 lens (not the best I know but great for indoor portraits) and I'm comfortable with the menus, I like the touch screen focusing, and the camera feels more solid.  I don't want to make the wrong choice and end up with blurry, yellow pictures of my daughter for the next few years.

Thanks for your help.

Kelly

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow