Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Baby Robins with SX50 - Day 4 Update
6 months ago

In the last update covering the four little robins' birth through Day 3, I mentioned that I hoped they would begin to open their eyes today. Sure enough, they complied. And the weather was easier on photography as well as incoming clouds partially blocked some of the sunshine allowing for easier exposure and greatly reducing (finally  ) the need for a lot of post on the raw file. So here's today's update:

DAY 4: Hungry As Ever. Now 97 hours old, the four babies finally opened their eyes today. The bright colors of their coats from prior days are starting to fade with the deep blues now only on the ends of their wings. They are taking on the color palette letting everyone know they are Robins, and quite hungry ones at that.

Mama Robin wasn't as happy with me today and didn't like my approach to the nest. Papa Robin did his best to draw me off as she approached to feed the babies. So I made this a quick shot and left them in peace. I'm glad the light was much easier to work with today in getting a decent exposure. This image actually has very little post processing.

We're expecting heavy rains tomorrow, so an update may be iffy. But hopefully I'll be back in a few days with the goings on of our little family. For anyone who missed the first post and would like to catch up from birth to DAY 3, the story can be found here.

Thanks for looking. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow