Panasonic Nocticron v. Olympus 75mm

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Henry Crun
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: Panasonic Nocticron 42.5 vs. Olympus 45mm vs. Voigtländer 42.5
In reply to Torq, 1 month ago

Now that you have me thinking about Voigtländer’s MFT offerings, I’m going to have to revisit using manual focus lenses on my GX1 and OM-D.

I was not very successful when I tried this originally and, since I have other options for manual focus glass (a digital rangefinder camera and split-prism focusing screens in my SLRs), I did not persevere or practice as much as I probably should have.

I agree that Voigtländer’s lenses are generally wonderful all around … and the notion of getting to f/0.95 combined with Voigtländer rendering and IQ is just too much to pass on! Beyond that, if the coming GX7 manages 2/3 of a stop better high-ISO over the GX1 and the 2/3 of a stop from f/1.2 to f/0.95 … that would be damn near a revelation! The IBIS possibility there wouldn’t hurt either.

Time to mount up my CV 40mm f/1.4 Nokton and get to practicing

I don't know about the GX1, but on my G1 it was somewhat painful to get to manual focus assist. One big sell of the GX7 for me, was the focus peaking, and I have found that the GX7's MF/AF switch is in the right place, and all together it makes MF a much better experience than it was on G1

As the Oly 45/1.8 didn't exist I used a Voigt 40/1,4 on my G1 and also Zuiko 50/1.8/1.4/1.2

If you put any filter on the Voigt 40/1.4 you get subtle but visible reflections right close to the main image, resulting in flare  / lost contrast, so in practice don't use a filter. (I spent ages blaming the lens until I worked it out). Unless it's a wedding, when the effect with a white dress can be just stunning, as it puts a very tight soft/halo around the white bits, while not soft focusing the rest.

The zuiko 50's are very good, and very nice to use, but the whole thing with adaptor is much bigger than the Voight 40. And a thought for those after super fast lenses - I found thatI used the 1.2 stopped down, as the last bit of aperture saw a noticable loss of contrast. In practice I might as well have used the 1,8.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow