Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Lynn David Cole
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Re: Canvas, D-Max, finishing sprays?
In reply to JBurnett, 3 months ago

JBurnett wrote:

Lynn David Cole wrote:

I recently tested a number of methods of printing on different types of canvas.

For the best dMax, use Matte Black ink either on matte canvas or satin canvas. My best results so far is with Breathing Color Lyve Canvas Matte and a coating of Glamour II . I plan to also try Epson Exhibition Matte Natural with the Glamour II coating as well.

I originally tried Epson Canvas Satin Natural with Photo Black ink and was disappointed with the dMax.

-- hide signature --

Lynn David Cole
LynnDavidCole.com
Google+

Thank-you, Lynn. I see that Glamour II comes in both glossy and matte. I know you used matte canvas, but did you also use matte varnish?

-- hide signature --

John,

Tested the following methods:

1. One coating of gloss followed with a coat of matte

2. Two coats of gloss followed with a coat of matte

3. One coat of gloss only (this I liked best)

The Breathing Color people recommend mixing the matte with the gloss to get the desired finish but in the end with canvas, but I prefer the gloss by itself.

For application I use a roller that I purchased from Breathing Color. I tried to find a similar foam roller at Home Depot but they had only in 3 inch and 6 inch sizes. You would not want to use a roller with fibers for obvious reasons (one fiber strand could ruin a print).

The problem with the matte coating is that when the light hits it right it gives a milky reflection. I found that with the canvas surface texture reflections were not a problem with the gloss coating.

I also like the Lyve Matte because it is provided with a profile for the 3880. I had great difficulty finding a profile for the Epson roll canvases. This is because the 3880 does not have a roll feeder and Epson didn't thinks it was necessary to make 3880 profiles for those canvases.

On another note, I find it much easier to feed canvas through the top sheet feeder. You just need to trick the printer by selecting a paper that is supported by the sheet feeder.

To print from the sheet feeder with Lyve Canvas Matte I use the following settings:

1. Paper = "Ultra Premium Presentation Matte"

2. Source = "Sheet"

3. Paper Thickness = "5"

4. Platen Gap = "Wider"

-- hide signature --

Lynn David Cole
LynnDavidCole.com
Google+

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow