Nikon D4s: Bayer processing breakthru?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
docmaas
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,730
Like?
Re: Nikon D4s: Bayer processing breakthru?
In reply to Tom Schum, 1 month ago

This reminded me of some anti diffraction technology I had seen briefly mentioned in Sony's newest RX100 iii.

"Two new technologies contribute to remarkably realistic images and bring out the full depiction performance of α lenses. Detail reproduction technology depicts details more faithfully with a more natural sense of dimension by preventing the overemphasized outlines that plague most digital images. Diffraction-reducing technology suppresses the effects of diffraction, which causes points of light to appear blurred especially at small aperture settings (large F-numbers). By taking the aperture setting into account, this technology faithfully restores clarity to points of light and other fine details: It brings out the potential of the lens, 36-megapixel image sensor and optical low-pass filter-free design so you can enjoy deep focus shooting of landscapes and more with a higher sense of clarity."

It's reproduced completely here but you can find it under the bionz processor at: http://discover.store.sony.com/sony-technology-services-apps-NFC/tech_imaging.html

There is also this about selective noise reduction:

"Area-specific noise reduction is now more powerful than ever. It selectively divides the image into areas based on patterns (such as edges, textures and evenly colored areas like blue skies), then applies the most appropriate noise reduction for each area to markedly reduce noise and improve image quality — especially at high-sensitivity settings. Working together with detail reproduction technology, it delivers supremely clear images with exceptionally fine detail."

Since both these are in the Bionz chip I suspect the manipulations are already present in the raw image but I can't say so for sure.

Mike

Tom Schum wrote:

This month's print edition of Shutterbug magazine (July 2014) has a review of the D4s, and on page 40 they say, "The resolution of 3280 lines per picture height given by the image sensor is transferred into images with a maximum of 3258 lines per picture height.... details and fine structures in these images look very crisp, but still natural." I've left out a couple sentences in which they speculate about how this might be done, and complain ever so slightly about some artifacts at hard contrast edges, but if you are interested the magazine is worth buying.

Typically, from what I have seen so far, it is very good to get even 75% of the sensor resolution out of a bayer array (60% more typically), and here we are at 99% with the D4s!

Once the DPR review comes out, it will be very interesting to compare image quality between the D4s (16 mp) and any Merrill (15mp). I'm guessing the D4s images will compare quite favorably.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow