5N with 18-55mm kit vs A6000 with 16-70mm Zeiss. Unscientific comparison for fun.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
5N with 18-55mm kit vs A6000 with 16-70mm Zeiss. Unscientific comparison for fun.
6 months ago

I'm just posting it now, even though it was done 10 days ago. EXIF is lost during conversion to JPEG. Tripod, OSS off, AF, 2 sec delay self-timer, distance around 6ft from camera (to minimize field curvature), shot at around 52-53mm, ISO400, 1/30, f6.3, RAW converted to JPEG in LR 5.4. No PP was done at all, except both lens profiles applied. This comparison holds no artistic value in pics whatsoever. Done just for fun and subjective general observations about similarities and differences between 2 lenses. I'm aware that sensors are different and resolution is 16Mp vs 24Mp. So keep that in mind. Also, note that it was done indoors under not ideal conditions, lowish light, 6ft distance may not be enough to completely minimize effects of field curvature of lenses, but object (Pooh bed-skirt) stayed same, untouched, so both lenses were in same advantage/disadvantage FWIW.

5N 18-55mm at 1/30 ISO400 f6.3 at around 53mm (best viewed at original full-res)

A6000 Zeiss 16-70mm at 1/30 ISO400 f6.3 at around 52mm (best viewed at original full-res)

Subjective conclusions:

1. Zeiss colors are more closer to natural (visible on Pooh's red shirt).

2. Zeiss zoom is sharper on edges and corners (especially visible on the Pooh closer to the left edge on photo).

3. 24Mp gives ability to crop more without losing sharpness. Even at 100% magnification it is visible that A6000 with 16-70 is sharper than 5N with 18-55.

Both lenses are fine, but Zeiss 16-70 has just that extra sharpness, bokeh (not tested here), color and reach - that IMHO is worth the extra money if you are into zooms as a main walk-around do it all lens for Sony E, APS-C.

I was skeptical of this Zeiss zoom previously, but now I see that it does deliver a nice steady sharp pictures while maintaining Zeiss T* colors.

P.S. One more review to check (not intended as an ad, but just because it coincides with my experience with this marvelous zoom): http://sonyalphalab.com/product-review/sony-e-mount-16-70mm-f4-oss-zeiss-lens-review-sel1670z/

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow