Any advice for Yosemite moonbow shooting?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,817Gear list
Like?
Re: Any advice for Yosemite moonbow shooting?
In reply to drummercam, 1 month ago

I had a nice vacation planned to Yosemite a few years ago only to have to cancel because I got one of the nastiest flu bugs I've ever had.  But I did have a bookmark for shooting Rainbow Falls and other locations around the park with good chances of a shot at a rainbow.  I can't find those links.  But the search was something like "photography yosemite" then I followed some links from there.  I know that does not help but the obvious is this search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=yosemite+rainbow+shooting&oq=yosemite+rainbow+shooting&aqs=chrome..69i57.16688j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8#q=yosemite+rainbow+photo

This could be a wonderful time of year to catch a rainbow but the sites out there can offer a lot of tips on what factors to consider.  Remember too it comes down to time of day.  So an app tracking sun positioning is very helpful.  I use TPE for Android and it helps me guess at times and positioning as well.

Most of all have a grand time and enjoy the shots you get not the ones you hoped for and missed.  Ansel Adams spent MONTHS in one spot to get a single shot and we try and compress things into what amounts to a "sound bite" of time expecting perfection.  Doesn't work that way in nature.

Be aware of bear warnings as well...I've been right next to a bear trying to dismantle a VW Van in the middle of the night so I've seen it happen first hand.  I was too young to be concerned just in awe of the power they possess.

brecklundin's gear list:brecklundin's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow