M43 vs dSLR for birds, focusing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,432Gear list
Like?
Re: M43 vs dSLR for birds, focusing
In reply to String, 3 months ago

String wrote:

Not much of a bird guy to be honest however I have taken a few. Here are some with the E-M5 and the Oly 75. All I ever use is S-AF.

I do not find the 100-300 a very fast focusing lens, at least on the E-M5. Its okay for static subjects but struggles with anything moving.

-- hide signature --

I have read reports that the focus motor in the 100-300 is a bit sluggish and this slows down focus speed as reported for instance this review by Ming Thein " the biggest limitation is continuous AF performance. It’s already a problem for the M4/3 system since all focus systems are contrast detect; it’s even worse with the 100-300 because the focus motor itself is slow, the required amount of physical movement of the lens elements between the infinity and the 1.5m near limit is large, and the lens is one of the earlier generation of designs that doesn’t have the benefit of the technology used in Panasonic’s current lenses. It isn’t slow per se, but it definitely isn’t up to the latest Olympus primes in speed" Can't comment from personal experience as I have never used it

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow