firmware update

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?
Re: firmware update
In reply to webber15, 6 months ago

webber15 wrote:

All done folks,,all done...once it said "lost connection" so a wiggle on the connection to my laptop solved it!! it seems the conection to my lappie is a loose fit...thanks for the replys folks...happy ending!!...

Yay! Thanks for following up. Glad to hear it had a happy ending.

One of the things I miss about my old Pentax system is the way firmware updates are done. On the Pentax cameras, at least a couple of years ago when I was still using them, you'd download the update, copy it to an SD card (mount card on computer desktop). Then you'd insert the card in the camera and start the camera while holding down some secret combination of keys. That caused the camera to find the update file and take over completely from that point. Simple and virtually goof-proof, unless you tried to do the update with a camera battery that was 30 seconds from depletion.

This process of having to connect the camera to the computer via a cable that I don't use often (and so have to go searching for), and then to work through a VERY badly written updater's UI — it's primitive, it's stressful and it's dumb.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow