Nikon D4s: Bayer processing breakthru?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,565Gear list
Like?
Maybe, but I don't think so.....
In reply to Tom Schum, 1 month ago

Hi Tom,

I think you might want to actually look at actual resolution charts... Tech Radar has done a pretty thorough examination of this camera and it doesn't look like it does all that much better than my D7000 and not close to my D5300 in terms of linear resolution... Probably best to actually look at the resolution charts and not trust the TechRadar's numbers because at times it appears what they say and what the charts actually reveal are at odds. As an example, they rated the D4S at 28 and the SD1 at 24 in terms of resolution. Looking at the actual resolution charts you will scratch your head on these numbers. Bottom line is that the D4S does very well for a Bayer 16 megapixel sensor, but as I look at the resolution charts - it doesn't get that near the Merrill's.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/nikon-d4s-1212962/review

Best regards,

Lin

Tom Schum wrote:

This month's print edition of Shutterbug magazine (July 2014) has a review of the D4s, and on page 40 they say, "The resolution of 3280 lines per picture height given by the image sensor is transferred into images with a maximum of 3258 lines per picture height.... details and fine structures in these images look very crisp, but still natural." I've left out a couple sentences in which they speculate about how this might be done, and complain ever so slightly about some artifacts at hard contrast edges, but if you are interested the magazine is worth buying.

Typically, from what I have seen so far, it is very good to get even 75% of the sensor resolution out of a bayer array (60% more typically), and here we are at 99% with the D4s!

Once the DPR review comes out, it will be very interesting to compare image quality between the D4s (16 mp) and any Merrill (15mp). I'm guessing the D4s images will compare quite favorably.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow