ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richard stern
Regular MemberPosts: 466
Like?
M43 vs dSLR for birds, focusing
3 months ago

Hi,

I shoot a lot of birds, including BIF. I have an Oly E-M5, and Panny 100-300 lens, and I love them for iq, light weight, ease of use etc., but they are lousy for birds isolated against a clear sky, particularly in flight, where in any AF mode there is so much hunting and focusing movement that the bird has generally gone, and the keeper rate is very low.

I also have a Nikon D7000, 300 f4 and 1.4 TC, which I love for birds against the sky and in flight, because of its instant and accurate C-AF mode and high iq. But I hate its bulk and weight. For any other type of photo (people, landscapes etc.) the iq of the 2 systems is similar.

I have read reams of stuff about PDAF, CDAF, legacy lenses, micro and non-micro 43 lenses etc., and am no further ahead. I find the info for this subject on the E-M1 conflicting and confusing.  Does anyone know if there is a real world camera that I can use with my existing 100-300 m43 lens, that gives iq and ease of use for general photography that is as good as the E-M5, and also consistent instant auto-focus that is as good as the Nikon combo for BIF?

-- hide signature --

Richard (rb_stern),
www.pbase.com/rb_stern
richard-s.smugmug.com

Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow