Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,807Gear list
Like?
Nikon Lens Snobbery Coming to an end
2 months ago

BTW, I recently got to try the Tamron 150-600, which is getting a lot of attention. In my opinion, it bests the Nikon 80-400 AF-S in too many respects to make the Nikon lens viable. The Nikon is better built and focuses a bit faster, but the Tamron still does more of what you want a long zoom to do and the sharpness is amazingly good.

Basically we have Sigma with their new ART series besting Nikon at the high end. In fact Sigma takes aim at Zeiss with there stuff and treats Nikon as the lower-end product. Thus far Sigma is looking to be very serious about this. They're hitting Nikon high.

At the other end of the spectrum Tamron is hitting Nikon on the lower end by offering value products that still have optical superiority over some Nikon slow glass.

Nikon better look out. If Sigma builds a 85 and 135mm ART lens, they will own the prime segment for many. The days where 3rd party always meant you compromised are long gone.

Tamron 90 VC is better than my old Nikon 105vr, Tamron 70-300vc is better than my old Nikon 70-300vr, Tokina 16-28 2.8 is better than Nikon 16-35 F4, Sigma 35 and 50mm ART lenses are better than Nikon versions, Sigma 150 Macro is top of its class....and the list goes on.

So the Nikon snobbery only means you didn't do your homework and paid more for less, at least in some cases. Nikon usually means you bought good glass, so you never go too far wrong with it. But it no longer means you bought the best glass; not by a long shot.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow