Medium Format.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?
Re: Medium Format.
In reply to afterswish1, 1 month ago

afterswish1 wrote:

As a regular reader of this forum over the last couple of years, and someone who probably always checks out your threads, I'd say definitely not on the medium format (assuming the reasoning is purely business related).

The way I see it, if you had a clear need for a medium format camera you would already know about it, and have some specific clients who want whatever extra magic it could bring to the table. Let's not forget, Benjamin Kanarek shot fashion covers with Pentax APS-C for years.

In my view, if you want greater resolution (and no AA filter), get a K3 and/or one of the upcoming Sigma Quattro cameras. If you want thinner depth of field, get one of the premium 50mm f1.4s available for the K-mount. Do you really want to take a medium format camera round your events?

I would think about what your output formats are (print sizes etc.), who your clients are and decide on that basis. If you want to try medium format, for studio work at least, what about a second-hand film camera such as the 645n? Much cheaper initial investment; you'd get back about what you paid for it if you decide to resell and also the current prices are a steal.

Then again though, if you really want an expensive new toy that also happens to have a practical (semi)justification, I'm sure you'd do some excellent work with the 645z!

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

I really love the dp3m I have, the IQ is amazing and the look of the files is just different even the oof area's seem to have something to them that's missing on my k5 and d3 files (I had a look back at my older stuff) but its VERY SLOW, not as the camera I find that ok but working with the files is pretty crap but then I see a new sigma pro photo 6 is coming along with the quarto's so that could change.

The merrills/quattro's really interest me due to the high iq, small size and leaf shutter with high flash sync and im pretty sure they will give a lot high end camera's a run for there money but I was thinking that the larger sensor camera's still have a different look to them and shallow DoF on wider shots which would be nice to give things more depth.

None of my clients or printing needs require a MF sensors resolution and even the a set of Merrills would cover a lot of big print needs but being apcs and with f2.8 lens they lack the shallower dof that other formats offer and I would like to try build a portfolio and aim towards clients that could require the benifits of the Medium Format but even for documenting the event's I'm going to cover I feel it would give the images a different look to what I would get other wise.

As for the size of the camera I wouldn't mind the size of the 645d/z as the optical viewfinder would make taking images a joy and sadly as was stated earlier the first impressions it would give are also a benefit as there are so many FF shooters these days and apcs sensor cameras can be had for around £200 so using something people are not used to seeing would have its benefits.

Anyway, it's looking like its not something I will be able to do currently so it will be a while before I get the money up in which time I sony could bring out a mirrorless MF or I just fall out of love with the idea :).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow