Best Bargain Basement portrait and telephoto lens you have used?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
horgo99
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Best Bargain Basement portrait and telephoto lens you have used?
2 months ago

So I am interested in expanding my lens catalogue by 1-2 lenses to help me with some specific needs for photos, however funds are SORELY limited. Would love to hear about what lenses you currently use/have used for portrait photography (probably in the 70-150mm realm and fast) and telephoto end (300mm and above) that one could find in good used condition, maybe through retailers like KEH etc? I am looking to (as much as possible) make the most of the resolution offered by my D7100.

All experience and suggestions welcome - but please, don't suggest the trinity zooms (even used, they still command a helluva premium and I am sure there are amazing optics out there that don't cost the world, right??). Obviously for best optical performance I am assuming most (all?) suggestions will be primes - which is great. I have up to 50mm covered well enough for my liking at the moment - beyond that I only have an average version of the nikon VR 70-300 (good enough for  casual shooting, but not up to the standard for the shots I want to try and get from these lenses).

So thats where we are at - looking for some great, possibly forgotten, sure to probably have some weaknesses but able to be worked around, lenses for portraiture and on the longer telephoto end! If you have samples of your shots with said lenses too that would be great - love seeing how other people shoot, sparks the creativity! Thanks guys!

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow