Lynn David Cole
Regular MemberPosts: 358Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Matte Paper for Epson 3880
In reply to PaulR, 6 months ago

PaulR wrote:

Lynn David Cole wrote:

PaulR wrote:

I have become an increasingly serious and demanding printer using my Epson 3880. I am currently printing primarily on Epson Exhibition Fiber, Canson Baryta Photographique and Canson Platine Fiber Rag. So far my favorites are the Canson papers and I am not sure yet which I prefer. I've also tried the Harman Gloss Baryta and I love the surface but the quality control simply isn't there, far too many sheets have defects in the coating. All of those papers are more expensive than I would really like but they do make lovely prints.

And I have also printed a fair amount on Epson Hot Press Bright and I really like the matte surface but the lack of saturation and contrast compared to the other papers really makes the sort of color printing I do seem relatively lifeless.

So my question is whether anybody has tried a matte paper that achieves the color saturation and dMax that is possible with the Baryta papers but without the surface sheen. I know it is probably like searching for the Holy Grail but I thought I would ask.

Thanks for the comments.

After trying a number of matte papers I settled on Epson Hot Press Natural. It has very good dMax and to me it's slightly better than Canson Photographique Rag. I also liked the Canson Photograpique Baryta, but in general I prefer a matte surface.

Slightly Different Subject:

If you are interested in canvas, I suggest that you try Breathing Color Lyve Matte Canvas in conjunction with the Glamour II veneer. With that combination the dMax is very good and the resulting surface is very durable.

At some point I would like to try the Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte to see how it compares. Any matte canvas will need to be coated to protect the surface from scuffing.

-- hide signature --

Lynn David Cole
LynnDavidCole.com
Google+

Thanks for the recommendations. When I have looked at the samples of the Hot and Cold Press Natural papers they have looked too warm for the kind of shooting I do. I imagine they would be lovely with B&W portraiture.

I have no experience with printing on Canvas. I haven't usually liked the look of stretched canvas photos when I have seen them in galleries although framing the photos is SO expensive I do understand the allure of canvas prints. It looks like Breathing Color offers some nice trial packs so I should give it a try sometime.

A main attraction to canvas is like you said not having to frame, but more important to me is coated canvas to me looks much better than a print behind glass.

I suggest that you try the Epson Hot Press Natural since it does not have any OBA's it will hold it's color longer and besides with the OBA's in the "Bright" papers the effect is lost when it is put behind glass or coated with UV protectant.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow