Are Olympus EVF "Blotches" on the Panasonic GX7 as Well?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,440Gear list
Like?
Re: Are Olympus EVF "Blotches" on the Panasonic GX7 as Well?
In reply to Jim Mohundro, 3 months ago

Jim Mohundro wrote:

I'm in the final throes of deciding between the Olympus E-M1 and the GX7, but still open to thinking through and being informed about any issues that affect my final decision, e.g., the likely superior Olympus EVF viewing experience (I've now spent more than a few minutes with the GX7 viewfinder and find it small and just acceptable); the recent post(s) here re the "blotches" appearing in the Olympus viewfinder (perhaps attributable to sunlight); the lesser bulk and weight of the GX7 vs the comprehensive set of buttons and controls of the Olympus; the purple fringes in the use of Lumix lenses on the E-M1 which may have little or no practical effect in use; the modest IS in the GX7 body but pretty effective lens-based IS vs the apparently more comprehensive IS in the E-M1 body; a not completely modest cost difference (E-M1 $1,000 body only vs GX7 $1100 w/kit lens that I could attach to my current GX1 for trade-in or sell to help finance my purchase of the new camera. I'd keep and use my 14-45 OIS zoom and 20mm f/1.7 first generation Lumix with whichever camera I select, and may or may not soon add other lenses later).

So, to my question: Are posters using the GX7 (perhaps Olympus-only users would not have appropriate experience to respond, but have at it) experiencing this "sunlight blotching" effect? By the way, use of a GX7 eyepiece extender is a non-starter; in spite of posts here and there on this and other forums, my research with Panasonic indicates there is no such accessory.

One would hope that "fanboy" responses from either side will be avoided here.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Jim, I suspect that the majority of Olympus EVF users have not seen the "Blotches" either, I know I haven't with either my EM-5 and EM-1. As usual, I suspect the noise of the few outweighs the silence of the many

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow