Medium Format.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
Re: Medium Format.
In reply to viking79, 6 months ago

viking79 wrote:

The difference between APS-C and 24x36 mm "full frame" is much greater than the difference between 24x36 and 33x44 mm medium format.

So 24x36 is about 1.25 stops more flexible than APS-C, and the 33x44 sensor is about 0.75 stops more flexible than 24x36, or 2 stops more flexible than APS-C.

It is better, but the cost benefit trade off decreases rapidly. In fact the 24x36 has more flexibility due to larger aperture lenses.

So if money is a driving factor I would go affordable high end like D800 (A7/R doesn't really have enough lenses yet, look at what they have and see if it would work for you, and the 24-70mm f/4 is not very good). If money is not a driving factor then the 645z would be a really nice camera I imagine.

Also, the larger the sensor is, the less enlargement to get to your output sized image (web or print). This usually means sharper and more detailed images with the larger sensor. This is probably only noticeable at larger output sizes.

Eric

I would rather not buy a nikon system ( I had a d3 before) as the cost of the lens would soon bring the system upto the cost of a pentax MF system (if you buy some second hand lens).

The sony seems nice as I could use it on a technical camera as a digital back so gaining tilt/shift functions which would be great for getting into product photography and I could mount my current FF pentax lens and even my da* stuff ofc with some cropping of the frame (which wouldn't bother me.)

But the thing I was wondering was how the images looked/feel from a MF compared to a FF and if it was worth it?, I've spend a few days now trying to look for decent info but it seems hard to find stuff but I'm probably looking in the wrong places and search engines sort of put us all into our own little bubble of internet

I think something like a 645z would be a great long term investment (well camera's do drop in price fast so mabye not.. the 645d was £10k and now just over £4k).

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow