EM-1 Bugaboos and Praises after 1,445 Vacation Shots...Yours too??

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
EM-1 Bugaboos and Praises after 1,445 Vacation Shots...Yours too??
6 months ago

I've just returned from a trip that saw us go from Seattle to Whistler and back. We did long walking tours through Seattle and Vancouver, went up into the snow-topped mountains at Whistler, hiked trails and saw mountain streams and numerous waterfalls, went down to the docks at Richmond and toured an old cannery, took many shots in the Chihuly Gallery (didn't think that was going to be allowed), and much, much more. I shot 1,445 photos along the way using the EM-1 and the 12-40mm exclusively. No lens changes, and most of the time, I used the battery grip. I also used a Black Rapid Curve strap and no bag. Took about two 16-gig cards worth of shots. After all that, here are my only beefs with the system under the stress of walking around and being distracted: 1) it's easy to come off the setting with maximum focal points, which is frustrating, causing constant checking (if you remember) to reset it if you want as much as you can in focus, and 2) in the bright sun or with overcast skies, sometimes its a chore figuring out what exposure is the best. Now here's what was I found to be tremendously useful: 1) the flip screen and the touch focus feature. On the run this is very quick and accurate, 2) weather sealing of the whole system (walked Vancouver in the rain for a good long while), 3) so light!, 4) instant video, 5) the MF feature on the lens, 6) wifi to go directly to iPhone and then to FB, and 7) just the best "Swiss Army Knife" camera you could take on a vacation, and still get dynamite shots. Can't say enough good about the lens too!

I'd like to know from you all what you found useful or frustrating using your EM-1 on your recent vacation, having put it through its paces.

http://www.gloriography.com/Photography/Seattle-to-Whistler-and-Back/

rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow