Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report

Started Aug 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kawika Nui
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
Re: Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS PZ (SEL-1650) - Review / Test Report
In reply to Mel Snyder, 6 months ago

Don't know if slrgear is a "detractor" but they did post images which revealed a lot of distortion & vignetting. Also softness. Here's their summary:

"The Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ OSS is a compact and inexpensive kit zoom lens that produces decent results, although it suffers from heavy barrel distortion at wide angles and produces images that are only super-sharp at the center. That said, it does better than most kit lenses, to the point that you may not feel the need to immediately rip it off and replace it with something better. It’s a very serviceable shooter. The big selling points here are its compactness as well as the powerzoom and image stabilization features, both of which come in handy for video shooting."

So this appears to be an OK lens.  I just bought one with an a6000; the camera was discounted and the lens only cost $150 when bundled as a kit.  At that price, I'm sure I can live with the issues, especially since I'm doing mostly outdoor shooting, very little with geometrical lines which would make the distortion stand out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow