Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Red Ace
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Best Affordable DSLR-like Video?
5 months ago

I am a still photographer lovingly using my 5-year old Olympus E-520 and three Olympus 4/3 lenses. My job has now expanded to include video so I need to pick up a better video camera for work (I currently use a Sony HandyCam 3.1 megapixel which I really dont like - controls and image flatness). Like to spend around (under $1000). My current choice may be the Panasonic Lumix G6. Any thoughts? Forgetting size constraints and number of available lenses, is the G6 a great video choice? Should I look at Canons? I'd like to additionally get great stills in addition to the best video (so one camera would do both on a job site). I'm assuming that m4/3 16-megapixels is going to yield a better result than my current 10-megapixel 4/3 Olympus E-520.

Concerns: Will the Micro 4/3 offer way less video Depth of Field options (i.e. bokeh) than a larger sensor Canon? I'd like have that non-videocam fullness if I can (I do know how to maximize bokeh but I'd like the camera to help out). Is a Canon (OR OTHER SUGGESTION) going to give me a lot better stills? Any other recommendations?
Is the GH3 that much radically better? Again, looking for the best video-first camera for around/under $1000 US. Website EOSHD raves about the G6 video, but I'm not sure about everything that I read. Will be editing in Premiere Elements 10 (on a PC) or FinalCutPro X (on a goosed-up MacBook Pro).

THANKS

Olympus E-520 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow