Speed Boosted MF lenses or native m43 fast glass?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tack
Regular MemberPosts: 404
Like?
Speed Boosted MF lenses or native m43 fast glass?
2 months ago

I recently did some portrait photography in a low light, but atmospheric restaurant and enjoyed the experience very much, though my friends like expensive restaurants :-D. I used my Pana G3 with an adapted Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 lens. All were shot wide open with shutter speeds around 1/20 sec and ISO bumped up to 1600. The RAW files needed quite a bit of massaging in post but I was happy enough with the results of the usable files, though they seem to have some halation. They were handheld and most were sent to the recycle bin due to camera shake.

I will seek out more of these opportunities in the future, however, I think I could benefit from even faster glass.  My idea is to purchase a Metabones Speed Booster in Nikon F mount to be paired with Nikon glass that I already own, the N50 f1.4D and N35 f2.0D.  The SB can also be used with a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 in F mount that I plan to purchase, although will most likely be too long for restaurant use, and I'll also be able to use it with a Tamron 35-135mm f3.5-4.2 Macro Zoom in F mount that I was just given as a gift. So I like the idea of the flexibility that the Speed Booster gives me and another stop of light will help with camera shake, sharper images and possibly lower ISO.

Can these older lenses, paired with the SB and shot wide open, match the image quality of native m43 fast glass, such as the O45/1.8, or Voigtlander 42.5/0.95 shot wide open? Will I be better served by buying a more recent body, such as a GX7? I would love the P42.5 but price is a consideration at this time.  AF and size considerations aside, I'm really seeking highest IQ.  So what do you guys and gals shoot with in similar circumstances?

I'm already pretty committed to micro 43rds with two G3s, a P14/2.5, S19/2.8, P25/1.4, S60/2.8 (coming tomorrow), and O40-150/4-5.6.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

Kodak Pixpro S-1 Nikon Coolpix S60 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow