Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex 7 + sel1018 in Yosemite
In reply to rsurya23, 6 months ago

fquails wrote:

rsurya23 wrote:

fquails wrote:

123Mike wrote:

Stunning professional results. All poster-printing worthy!

I have a stupid question. I highly doubt I'm going to buy the 10-18, although one day I might... In the meantime, on a budget, have you ever tried and got decent results from using a wide angle fish eye (eg. Samyang 8mm for crop) through de-fishing / un-distorting? I have seen good results when you toss out the sides a bit. The E-mount 8mm f/2.8 is pretty sharp, very sharp at f/5.6. Also, if you're going to end up throwing a it out on the sides, you can make a bit of the more precise framing decisions after the fact...

Hi, Sorry, but I have never used a fisheye lens, so I could not answer your question.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on the pictures!

I will be visiting Yosemite later this year. Just booked the trip. What are the must see places in Yosemite? i hear staying over at curry village for a night is highly recommended. Any suggestions near big sur is also welcome.

I've never stayed in Curry village; I mostly camped in Upper Pines campground, or stayed in the Yosemite Lodge (hotel inside the park). So, I can't comment on Curry Village.

If you don't have a lot of time, there are already plenty of photo opportunities in Yosemite Valley itself. There you will see the icons (El Capitan, Yosemite Falls, Half Dome). You can google the following words for photographers' favorite viewpoints: Valley View, Tunnel View, Three Brothers, Cathedral Beach, Devil's Elbow. You can also go to Glacier Point, Mariposa Grove (giant Sequoias). The snow/ice pictures I shared are of Lower Cathedral Lake, which is a 3.5 mile hike from Tuolomne Meadows off of Tioga Pass. Though still part of Yosemite National Park, it is quite a drive from the Yosemite Valley floor.

Be warned, though, Yosemite Valley does not have a lot of colors in the fall---just a few spots of color here and there. Waterfalls should also be dwindling because most of the snowmelt is gone. Really, the best time to go to Yosemite is early spring when everything is green and the falls/rivers are flowing at their peak. But it will be very crowded. Next best time is winter, after a snowstorm---that is when everything is blanketed in white powdery snow. And you have the park to yourself for the most part.

As for coastal photo ops, Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel, Julia Pfeiffer State Park, Point Reyes National Seashore, Mendocino, are some of the typical stops for photographers in the area. There is also Lake Tahoe, but that is a few hours' drive north of Yosemite.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed rundown. It is really helpful for me to plan the trip. I was hoping to catch fall colors in Yosemite since im going end of october but looks like i have to rethink it. I was also hoping to catch some waterfalls there. Is Lake tahoe a good alternative? I will research also.

Thanks again!

For fall colors, Lake Tahoe area is good, mostly yellow aspen leaves. Eastern Sierras (June Lake region) off of Hwy 395, southeast of Yosemite , is good also. Because of high elevation, fall comes early in those areas compared to rest of the State. Colors wont be anywhere near East Coast fall colors, though. Not sure how the State's drought will impact fall colors.

fquails's gear list:fquails's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow