Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Olydude
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
has µ4/3 lost its way?
4 months ago

When I look at the lenses I would buy for µ4/3 the 12-40 Olympus F/2.8 is $1000, the 35-100 F/2.8 from Panasonic is $1000 and the 7-14 from Olympus 7-14 F/2.8 is looking as though it may well be near double that price at $1800.

For a system that doesn't compete directly with full frame, it certainly has lenses which are exorbitantly priced. All of this is making me reconsider my commitment to staying with Micro Four Thirds vs upgrading to a larger system for specific lenses.

On full frame the Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 is priced in at $500, so what exactly is the issue here? A faster lens at a third the price which when you consider the differences should provide a better optical result. What exactly are Panasonic and Olympus getting at? So the Tokina doesn't go to 24, but it beats the µ4/3 option at 11mm and by the time you go that wide you'll want another lens anyway that is more normal such as an 18-55 zoom lens.

I just don't get where Olympus is pricing that particular lens at, or many others, I feel like µ4/3 is heading back to the same point it was in, in 2009-2010, with expensive lenses and no real selling point to differentiate it as anything more than a "why bother?"

Olydude's gear list:Olydude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow