How does Minolta 100-200 F4.5 compare to 721 F4 Beercan? For occasional outdoor sport.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
McLuhan
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
How does Minolta 100-200 F4.5 compare to 721 F4 Beercan? For occasional outdoor sport.
2 months ago

Hi, everyone.

It's time for me to ask some advice from you guys.

Now I have nothing longer than 85mm on my crop sensor(Samyang 85mm F1.4, mainly for low light/portrait but now double as a mid tele). However, the samyang is still a bit too short in outdoor shooting such as trackfield sports in middle school/high school/college.So I am looking for a budget telephoto lens for my A77. However, the air quality is worsening in my city. I remember clearly that for two times I waited for 2 weeks to just to get a sunrise in the morning at 5 am in April and May..... Even more so will this limit my use of tele...So I don't expect to have a lot of shooting opprotunity using tele lens longer than 150mm equiv. focal length nor do I want to spend a lot of money on it.

Currently I am looking at 2 things:

Minolta AF 100-200mm F4.5

Minolta AF 70-210mm F4

Which do you think is sharper and with less CA at both end? Especailly at the long end? I only plan to do occcasional outdoor sports of people and autos(some stage shoot if the lighting is OK for F4.5) and some tele shots at flowers/leaves maybe birds on the trees or other plants that I don't have a reach with my samyang 85mm. That's the main thing that I am looking at.

And do they auto focus at acceptable speed for such kind of sport? I understand that they are not intended for serious sport shooting by today's standard.

The last thing would be the bokeh. I don't expect them to be butterly creamy like 135mm stf or my samyang 85mm at f2 nor will I prioritize portrait on either of them. But, are their bokeh quaified for at least photojournalistic use in outdoor sports? I mean, not outright distracting at least?

Or is that still too short for such kind of sport, even with crop sensors? I mean, can I get some reasonably large close-up of players, cars with 200mm on the side of, say, a soccer pitch or a basketball playground? In the places that I plan to go to, they do allow people watch just on the side of the pitch as long as we don't influence the gameplay. Or I'll have to look at something at 300mm, say, minolta 100-300 apo or non-apo, tamron 70-300mm USD(But that's in another league of pricing for me I guess?)

Thank you guys !

McLuhan

McLuhan's gear list:McLuhan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +1 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow