ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sanjeev Das
Contributing MemberPosts: 787Gear list
Like?
A7R Wow!
2 months ago

Hi guys,

A long time Pentax and Nikon shooter, I rented the A7R from lensrentals so see what the A7R was all about.

In two days of shooting, I have simply been blown away by the image quality. I mean, blown away.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sanjeev_das/tags/a7r

The A7R and the FE 55 seems like a match made in heaven. To be able to shoot at f/2 and have the camera nail focus every time and be tack sharp at 100%! Man, I have never seen anything like this before. And the size and the weight are just perfect.

I would have loved to own the camera right now, but there are a couple of things holding me back:

• EVF. I hugely prefer an OVF. I would like the EVF to have better resolution and dynamic range.
  • Shutter. It is loud, especially if you want it to be a stealth street camera. But, more than that, I found that it was not possible to capture that exact facial expression that I wanted. There seems to be some sort of lag between what I see in the EVF and what the final captured image it. Is this a lag in the viewfinder, or lag due to the mechanical first curtain?
  • Viewfinder blackout. Seems too long.
  • AF. Seems fine in daylight, I didn't have any issues, but I have heard that focus in low light is not that fast or accurate.
  • Auto ISO. Pentax has a cool slow/normal/fast options instead of just 1/FL. Sony could do better here.
  • Ergonomics. The strap lug position seemed very awkward to me, it would just jam into my palm. But after using for a day or two, I stopped noticing it.
  • Battery life. Fine for a day of shooting, but could be better. No a big issue though.
  • Need more FE lenses, especially a wide angle.

So, the questions is: what are the chances of Sony releasing an updated iteration to the A7R that would fix some/all of the above?

Sanjeev

Sanjeev Das's gear list:Sanjeev Das's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha 7R Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow