Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,190Gear list
Like?
Df Focus Problems Resolved
4 months ago

If you recall from an earlier post I had problems lock focus when in AF-C mode, AF-C priority in Focus, Focus tracking off, single point using center point, while using a Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC. I was shooting at Rowan University Relay for Life inside a gym. Light was surprisingly low for a gym, but wasn't that low. The Df would not focus lock unless I went to AF-S mode, using the red AF beam from the SB-700 in order to lock focus. Eventually went to my D800E to finish out the rest of the shoot.

I made an adjustment on the Df, going to dynamic 9 point dynamic-area AF. I still used the Tamron lens, but I had my Nikon 24-70/2.8 and 24-120/4.0 VR in the car. Saturday I was in Marlton NJ shooting their Relay for Life. For some reason the lights at the football stadium were low. Out of 16 lights per set, only two at opposite ends were lit. I didn't count how many sets of lights the stadium had, but the low light made shooting miserable. It was very hard to see just exactly where I was shooting. Out of over 500 shots taken at night time, only two were out of focus. The Df had no problem locking focus with 9 point dynamic-area AF.

In daylight I still prefer to use the D800s, due to cropping capabilities, but the Df problems I had in the past has been resolved to my satisfaction.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow