Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,601Gear list
Like?
Got myself a K-3 with the 18-135 mm lens
2 months ago

Got myself a K-3 with the 18-135 mm lens.

It did lock up just after I started to test it. It was firmware 1.0, so I upgraded to firmware 1.03, and after that no more lock ups.

What I have seen directly is that it exposes much better. The K-5 I had to put on slight under exposure to avoid clipping highlights. The K-3 fixes that easily.

The focussing is also much more consistent. On K-5 I had to use the middle focussing point only and be careful. I have used multi point exclusively since I got the camera. And it has missed what I wanted in focus some very few times.

The lens is very nice. Quiet and seems to be sharp. It also feels very substantial and reliable, but that is of course only a feeling.

I have tested the HDR function. Too easy to get exaggerated effects. Only the minimal effect seems to be useful. So ... some finer adjustments in the more moderate settings would be nice. Pentax? Are you hearing? Maybe a firmaware update?

I have some pictures of course. Ill show some soon. BTW - the K-3 is participating in the latest Pentax SLR shoot out. Lets see if it is any good at taking images ... and the voters likes its result

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow