Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HedgeShot
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Polarizer Filter When Hiking/Camping
6 months ago

Getting the last of my gear set for a long camping/hiking trip and wanted to include a polarizing filter.  With the lenses I will be taking, I'll need both a 77mm and a 67mm (or just the 77mm with a step up ring).

Reading through all the reviews of filters on this site often mention problems with many of the filters getting stuck on the lens.  Normally someone will counter with "use a "cokin" or a "lee" and the stuck filter problem doesn't happen. Naturally, both of these systems come with an added price investment.

Questions for those familiar with them.

• Is the stuck filter using something like a B&W or Marumi a very common occurrence or more typical because some are moving too quickly or not careful enough putting them on/off?
  • Is a Cokin or Lee system less prone to getting stuck or is it primarily since once the adapter ring is in place, you leave it on?
  • For camping/hiking, would a screw-on filter such as a B&W travel better than something like a Cokin/Lee?

Thanks

HedgeShot's gear list:HedgeShot's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow