LR 5.4 RAW to JPEG conversion taking too long. Is there a faster way?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 693Gear list
Like?
LR 5.4 RAW to JPEG conversion taking too long. Is there a faster way?
3 months ago

So I decided to shoot RAW, then PP all files using simple presets, then quickly go through pics to manually fiddle with some pics requiring more PP. Finally I convert all RAW's to JPEG and keep them that way on my HDD storage. Once I did PP I don't need to keep RAW, since they take space and don't provide any benefits since I extracted all I want from them. I don't do any important shooting, just my family and trip casual shooting. I will not need to go back and reprocess RAW. So I'm using RAW as a best shooting mode to get most from the sensor and then PP to get it how I want. That's it. After that I need only JPEG - to view on our big TV screen in family room, to post on my blog, or send to friends for viewing etc. I don't do any publishing work and I don't sell pics, so I don't need to keep RAW.

I have an i7 quad core, 8Gb, fast HDD (7200rpm), Win 7 Pro and still conversion takes painfully long time - like at least 5 sec per 1 image. It sounds not bad, but yesterday I was trying to convert around 400 RAW's that I took from my recent trip to park with my family. You can imagine that it took more than half hour to just convert them to JPEG. I am already scared to think what will happen when i return from trip with 3-5k of photos? I usually go to file menu then do export and chose JPEG and folder destination. Seems simple and straightforward. Is LR not optimized or maybe I need to have really fast video card to speed up conversion process? I was under impression that it is CPU that is under load when conversion takes place. Is my i7-2860QM 2.5 (3.2) GHz not enough? Is there any other way to quickly convert RAW to JPEG in LR?

Another question I have is about that RAW to JPEG conversion. If I have a perfect RAW that I already edited how I want it and it has a beautiful DR (13 stops or whatever on base ISO100) - what will happen when I convert it to JPEG? Will JPEG retain all that visual aspects? I know it will not have RAW data in it and I won't be able to PP JPEG as much afterwards if I want to, but will it look almost exactly same as final copy RAW that I made before converting?

Thank you.

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow