Built-in flash pops-up even if external flash is attached

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401
Like?
Is it on?
In reply to asamabalo, 1 month ago

asamabalo wrote:

Hi, can anybody help me? I'm an amateur at this thing. I have a Nikon D7000 and when I use an external flash, the built-in flash always pops up. It says in the manual that the built-in flash will not fire when an optional flash unit is attached. I tried to use SB 700 external flash but when I shot a picture, the built=in flash pops-up always. Is something wrong with my camera? I hope it's only in the camera's settings

Is your SB700 on (or in Standby mode). If it is off, then in full auto (and scene modes that use flash) the pop up will try to pop up. The camera will not detect an add on flash that is actually not on. With the SB700 in on position, you should not be able to pop the pop up flash.

Personally I find this very annoying, because when grabbing the body i sometimes tap the pop up flash button and the pop up pops up and jams up against the SB700. On smaller bodies (the previous D3100 I had) I had to detatch the SB700 just so the pop up can latch back down. On the D7xxx at least there is enough clearance to be able to just push it back. There really should be some mechanical coupling or ground pin check that stops the pop up flash from coming up when specific hot shoe accessories (via ground pin contact or some mechanical push) signal to disable it.

-- hide signature --

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow