Why does the Nikon 24/1.4 get a pass at the border(s)?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tundracamper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786
Like?
Why does the Nikon 24/1.4 get a pass at the border(s)?
5 months ago

I am about to make my annual lens purchase and am interested in getting something "wide" for an upcoming trip to major cities and national parks.  My brain says get the 14-24/2.8 for going really wide.  My heart says use the 24PCE and 16/2.8 fisheye for landscape and cityscape images and buy the 24/1.4 to get really creative.  Although I plan to buy new, it seems the used 24/1.4s are more heavily discounted than the 14-24/2.8.  As a result, I'm thinking buyers may be generally happier with the 14-24.

Just about every objective/subjective review I read says the borders of the 24/1.4 are (quite) soft. The numbers for border resolution at photozone are REALLY poor (below). Nevertheless, many users (some even respected) on this forum claim the 24/1.4 is their favorite lens.  If I don't plan to go around shooting portraits with the subject in the center, will I be as happy with this lens as I am with something like the Zeiss 100/2 and 200/2 (I love fast glass:).  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow