Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Son Of Waldo
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
Re: Cycling the Sahara desert
In reply to nico3d, 6 months ago

nico3d wrote:

RickD wrote:

Inspiring trip and awesome pictures. Congratulations on doing something most of us only dream of. Based on the pictures, your camera seems to be holding up very well to the stresses of cycling. How do you carry it and protect it from vibration, dust etc? I have hesitated to carry my gear even on much shorter trips for this reason.

-- hide signature --

RickD

Hi Rick ! Thanks a lot for your words.

THe D800 and the lenses are incredibly resistant. In years of traveling, none have been affected by vibrations, or dust and I gotta confess I'm pretty lousy at keeping eveyrthing clean. Something you just can't keep anything clean anyway, that simple.

However, I did have an accident where I dropped my bag D800+14-24 and ruined the focusing system, which later Nikon fixed when I reached a city.
The body does suffer a lot. I got almost the full body replaced after having got corroded in several areas after 6 months of cycling in the tropics. On the other hand, nothing was affected internally, even in the most insane humidity conditions.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/cycling.shtml here's an article I wrote, where you can see in full detail how I carry things and travel like this.

Nicolas,

The linked video of Tibet was incredibly informative and entertaining, thank you!

I see you have a D4! You shouldn't even worry about a train running over it I guess

-- hide signature --

'there's more in each of us than we know'
www.nicolasmarino.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicolasmarino/

Your Flickr site is amazing - from the Tibetan plateau to the Sahara

Bookmarked!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow